Water Treatment: An American Concern

Water Treatment: An American Concern

December 20, 2019

As a provider of water testing services in Pisgah Forest, NC, we like to stay up to date on the latest developments and research regarding water quality. A recent study from Applied Research West Inc. analyzed the way Americans feel about the quality of their water. Here are some of the key findings of the survey:

  • Of the respondents, approximately 51 percent said they were either “concerned” or “very concerned” about the quality of the water supply they have at their household. (This represented a stark increase from the most recent study in 2017, when 18 percent were “very concerned” and 24 percent were “concerned,” for a total of 42 percent. A jump of nine percentage points in two years is quite significant.)
  • 80 percent of the respondents get their water from their local municipal supplier. Another 12 percent get their water from wells, and eight percent said they did not know the origin of their water supply.
  • A majority of both people who used well water (52 percent) and municipal water (54 percent) lacked total confidence in the safety of their water supply.

With all of the national press over the last several years surrounding the crisis in Flint, Michigan, in which lead was found in the water supply, it is not surprising that other people across America would begin considering the possible hazards in their own water supplies. But this isn’t just a situation with some people hearing frightening news and becoming nervous themselves—there are plenty of people who have good reason to be less than confident in the purity of their water, which may come as a bit of a shock to people who live in areas where such concerns are rare, and thus they’re able to take their drinking water for granted.

What should you do if you’re unsure about your water quality?

The best step to take if you have any doubts at all about the quality or purity of your water is to purchase a water filtration system for your home.

The majority of American homeowners already have some sort of water treatment system in their homes—about 63 percent purchased some type of treatment system when they moved in, according to the survey. Of that group of people, about 40 percent bought a point-of-use or point-of-entry filter, and about 37 percent bought a refrigerator filter, while the majority of the rest (11 percent) invested in reverse osmosis filters.

Wondering what type of filter will work out best for your needs? This primarily depends on what your filtration goals are, and the kinds of issues you’re facing with your water. If you just want to filter your water before you drink it, then you probably don’t need to install a whole-house filter. However, if you care about removing excess chemicals or minerals from the water before showering, doing laundry or washing dishes in addition to purifying your drinking water, then it becomes a better idea to get a whole-house filtration or purification system.

For more information about how to select your water purification system, or to schedule water testing for your property in Pisgah Forest, NC, contact Royal Water Works, Inc. today. We’ll be happy to teach you more about water filtration.

Categorised in: