Is Your Water Safe
People often assume that when they turn on their faucet to get a glass of water, the water will automatically be purified, clean and uncontaminated. Unfortunately, this assumption is often incorrect. Water contamination is much more common across the nation than you might think. Water testing in Pisgah Forest, NC often surprises home and business owners when they realize their water is not nearly as pure as they believed.
A contaminant is anything that is not pure H2O. Contaminants of all kinds can be found in your drinking water, from chemicals to metals to bacteria. These contaminants can stem from unclean wells, corroded pipes, natural water sources and even purposeful additions by water treatment facilities.
Without a water filtration system, you could be putting these five common contaminants in your body each day:
- Chlorine: Chlorine is commonly added to city-distributed drinking water to kill any living contaminants like bacteria that might make you sick. Unfortunately, the presence of chlorine itself could be dangerous, since it can create byproducts through chemical reactions that are much more toxic and could be harmful to your health.
- Lead: We’ve all heard of the Flint water crisis, during which harmful levels of lead entered the water system of the city, but what you may not know is that lead is quite common in drinking water around the country. Lead can seep into water from the corrosion of very old pipes and is known to cause numerous health problems, especially in young children.
- Herbicides and pesticides: Chemicals that are sprayed onto lawns and plants to prevent the spread of weeds and insects can get into the water system after rain causes runoff. The contaminated water enters both public water systems and treatment facilities, and the contaminants are not always filtered out.
- Bacteria: Most city-controlled water distribution centers are able to filter out or kill off microbes like bacteria by adding disinfectants like chlorine, but bacteria can still contaminate certain drinking water sources like wells.
- Fluoride: Fluoride has been added to drinking water for decades because it is believed to help stall tooth decay. However, more recent studies have shown that high levels of fluoride can actually be dangerous to our teeth and bones, so this added compound must be carefully monitored to ensure levels do not escalate.
Testing and treating your water to ensure your safety
Water testing in Pisgah Forest, NC is one of the best ways to see what is really lurking in the water you drink every day. The process checks for contaminants and identifies their levels.
Once you know what kind of contaminants are present, you can take action by implementing a filtration system designed to remove as many contaminants as possible to keep you safe.
At Royal Water Works, Inc., we work to ensure your water is as safe as possible. By conducting water testing at our laboratory in Pisgah Forest, NC, we inform customers of what’s in their water and help them find solutions, including iron removal systems, UV disinfection and more. Call us today to learn more about what we can do for you!
Categorised in: Water Safety